Thursday, July 12, 2007

Holy Cow...............

OK so as most of you know I have put a new page on my site for charities that accept knitted/crocheted donations. Now, why am I doing that? Because I want to do something NICE for these charities and give them some needed exposure. I figure any little thing I can do to add exposure for them is helpful, right?? After all, these organizations do great work. I am especially fond of those organizations that do for animals as pets are so near and dear to my heart. I was a veterinary technician for 10 years before I went to nursing school. I love working with animals, unfortunately, the pay just ain't that great. Anyway, I digress.........

So, I sent emails to ALL of the charities that I wanted to put on the site just introducing myself, asking their permission to link to their site and making sure that their program is still up and running and accepting donations. Everyone has been SO gracious thanking me for linking to their site and letting me know what kind of work they do. Well, everyone except for ONE particular organization who shall remain nameless............

They sent me an email back asking me to read their "terms of use" policy for linking to them and sending me to the page that housed all of their icons that I must use one of for display. Fine. It states that I can't alter them in any way. Fine. It states that I can't speak about them in any disparaging way on my website at all. Fine - ummm....why do you even need to put that in there anyway, right??????

So fine. We did all of that no problem. Cut and pasted their HTML text exactly as it is on their site. Well, this morning I get an email from them telling me that I have modified their image and that it looks "mushy" and I must remove the image and replace it with an unmodified version IMMEDIATELY. OK - so by now you can see that I am pissed. Then they went on to proceed to tell me how I could fix some things on my website so they would look better.

I am trying to do something NICE and they are being total bitches, right? So, you better believe that darn icon was for sure removed IMMEDIATELY never to return. This is the email that I sent back to them (who shall remain nameless):

No, we didn't modify the image at all and used your text that you had directly on your website. We were just trying to do you a favor and offer some exposure to your organization. We wanted to do something nice to expose some charities that do good for animals. I'm sorry that we haven't met your standards and your image has been removed since it does not meet your high standards. We will find another organization that meets our criteria. Thank you.

I'm trying to be somewhat nice while politely letting them know they are being nasty. I mean REALLY!!!! This is a charity and I'm trying to HELP!!!!

Ugh........people.

Anyone have any charity organizations that accept knitting (and that are NICE and APPRECIATIVE) that would like some added exposure on my site???

~ Knit Witch whose cauldron is boiling..........

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that was crazy, are they some kind of superstars? You did the right thing, it's really unbelievable.

Stiks said...

how nutzzzzzzzzzzz! red tape abounds.... their loss

theyarnwhisperer said...

Hmmmm. I just attempted to leave a long winded comment about charities and knitting demise gowns for babies who don't make it, but it doesn't seem to have popped up on your blog. I guess I'll give it a bit to work its way through cyberspace before I try it again.
I love the whole knitting for charities idea and one year knit some socks for Bosnian orphans. I also like random acts of kindness (I get a kick out of paying for somebody's meal behind me at a drivethrough. Its just a really cool thing to do.)
It sounds like we like a lot of the same activities (beyond our knitting obsession) and have some similar ideas possibly (I have What the Bleep.... on dvd). Could you possibly be a Harry Potter fan as well?
Namaste!