Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Bootstraps

Look!!

Mom's Blog

My mom put her sweater up on her own blog! :) I think she likes it!

My mom is a pretty amazing person. She suffered through lots of years of ridiculous family BS as a child and subsequently ended up in many foster homes where she was abused in many ways for many years. She is a success story though. She is a woman who has "pulled herself up by her bootstraps" and made the best of it and made positive changes in her life so that she did not bring that trash forward into her life - into my life.

She is strong. She knows what she wants and she goes after it with a passion. To meet her you would never know how much she has struggled with abuse, low self esteem and self-hate. You would never know how difficult it has been for her sometimes to just have the courage to wake up and face one more day. Nope - she is outgoing and vibrant and loving and caring and smart as hell.

She has really changed her life and along the way she has made an unfaltering effort to help other women in abused situations change their lives too. She has done lots of work for the Georgia Council on Child Abuse, regularly speaks about how people can change their lives and overcome victim thinking and has written books about how to STOP being a victim and get on with your life in a positive way. If you are interested - you can find the latest one on Amazon HERE.

I wish all kids would have such a positive and great role model for parents that I have had. They haven't always been perfect (seriously, have any of us been the perfect parent?) but they have always made positive changes in their lives and taught me to be the best person I can be and to go after my dreams and not worry about what other people think. I hope I have been able to pass on these same lessons to my own son. So far, so good!!! :)

A rare photo of my mom, dad, brother, son and myself all in the same picture!!

3 comments:

judith said...

That is awesome!

turtlegirl76 said...

It's beautiful, Brittany!

Diane Bogino said...

Good grief...now I'll have to send her another check! : )

Thank you sweetie.

Love Mom (Now who was that woman you were writing about?)