Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pond Work....

.....is moving right along. Unfortunately, we had to have a tree removed. It always makes me sad to have to take down trees. I hate it. But, it had to be done. We'll be using the tree for firewood though next winter. It took these guys about 5 minutes to remove this tree. The whole process was pretty amazing.





Then...........the dreaded hole. Here's a picture of the hole all cleaned out. That pile of trash next to it (not Mr. Man - the OTHER side!) is what they took out of the hole.



That is the hole the bonehead former owner of this house dug in the pond with a backhoe and all the trash he put in it. In the picture Mr. Man is assisting a water snake in making it's escape from the hole. There were also two snapping turtles and a pile of tadpoles to rescue. All were removed to safer living quarters.

Here's what the hole looked like after they finished.

YAY!!! I can't wait to start filling up the pond again. There is still more work to go but hopefully we can start filling it again as soon as we get back from Asheville.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for clearing out the hole! :) Your pond is looking great.

Anonymous said...

WOW. That was some hole! Is that a diving board I spy?

Linda said...

I know exactly what you mean about trees. We have a beautiful hardwood in our back yard, one of maybe 3 hardwoods on the lot. When the house was under construction you could find me most days parked under it. So the schmoe on the dozer didn't dig up the roots! They thought I was nuts. Well...

Sara said...

Oh, the pond will be such an addition and will help the environment, too.

Esther said...

Wow you are make great progress with the pond.

I must admit I have become less averse to cutting down trees since moving to a country where most trees are fully grown within 10 years.

But I do miss the old hard woods.