Saturday, March 8, 2008

A is for Alpaca

Remember that bag of roving my wonderful friends at Georgia Mountain Fiber gave me several weeks ago? You know, this one:



Well I started spinning it today and I think it is turning out pretty darn good! I am actually starting to play with the thickness and the amount of twist I am putting in the yarn - instead of just acting like I meant to spin it the way it turned out. Here it is so far:


This alpaca is SO soft and it is wonderfully easy to spin (yeah, that gets a BIG plus in my book).


And.........drumroll please...........we got some buttons out of the kiln yesterday! Melissa and I worked on these several weeks back. I think most of them turned out pretty darn good for a first attempt at ceramic buttons. Mr. Man will get them on the website soon but here are a couple of my favorite sets:





Mr. Man and I spent the whole day up in the N. GA mountains yesterday. We putzed around for the day and then we visted Deb and Michael at Georgia Mountain Fiber and went to dinner with them and that was a blast. Even though it was kind of rainy it was nice to get out of the big city for a while and slow down and enjoy country life for a bit!

6 comments:

KSee said...

The Buttons came out great. Way to go.

LittleWit said...

Yum alpaca! and Yay for buttons! :)

Sara said...

You are making buttons, too. Those turned out beautiful!

Hockey Mom said...

Oh, the buttons are gorgeous. And the spinning is wonderful. You're quite the accomplished spinner already.

theyarnwhisperer said...

I think our buttons look pretty damn good if I do say so myself.
I got the privilige of it being my weekend to work so I had to get up at 15 minutes til 0:dark-thirty.

Calicoknits said...

Good looking buttons. You & Jose are so smart! I'll trade you some merino sock yarn for some alpaca handspun. Yes?