Thursday, May 14, 2009

Things in Trees

We were walking around our pond the other day and look what we saw in the tree!!



Here's a closer shot.


THAT, my dear blog reading friends, is an honest to goodness Copperhead snake. Nice. Normally, we would capture this guy and relocate him to a place FAR AWAY from our property. However, this tree is on the bank in back of our dam surrounded with thick brush. And plus, as stated earlier, he is up in the tree. Not exactly friendly capturing circumstances. So, he will not be being relocated at this particular time. We will definitely need to keep an eye out for him.


This guy is also back but is definitely welcome to stay. I know Slim knows to steer clear of snakes - he won't walk anywhere near one. Hopefully the kittens will get the memo.




He/she is about to shed - see how cloudy the eyes are?


On another wildlife front, the baby birds are gone. I took this picture of them in the morning and by that afternoon they were all gone. Mom and dad will be back in a few weeks for another round.

I wouldn't let the painters paint that little spot because the birds had eggs in the nest at the time. I guess at some point we will get up there and get it cleaned and painted so that she has nice new digs for next season!

Wayne found THIS LINK of a live streaming video put in a Blue Bird nest. This is somewhere in North Georgia I think. Very cute.

7 comments:

turtlegirl76 said...

*shudder* You better have a nice zoom on that camera. That black snake is entirely too close for my comfort. I hate snakes. They freak me out.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

oh yuck!! i can't stand snakes... they scare me to death!! :(

Turtle said...

awe, sweet baby birds, hopefully they flew off and were not snake food! smile. I actually like snakes, as long as they are not poisonous. I was the girl who chased the boys around the neighborhood with the snake in hand. (heh-heh)

LittleWit said...

So how do you s'pose the snake got in the tree and what is he doing in there?

theyarnwhisperer said...

I am with turtlegirl.... I don't care what kind of snake it is, I don't want anything to do with it.

Firefly Nights said...

We caught a black snake in our yard last year and drove it to a parking lot at a nearby lake where we released it. We saw it slither up onto a picnic table before it found itself a tree and up it went. When we left it was wrapped around a branch way up in another tree. Gives a whole new meaning to a walk in the woods. Now we have to look up as well as down.

HODGEPODGESPV said...

i can understand the one in the tree, but the one aground....he looks awfully long! i am also glad you don't have terriers. i do think oscar wild would get too close...such a nosey critter he is.