Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Heels

I normally do a short row heel when I work toe-up socks. I have always done them with wraps. In the latest issue of "Cast On" there was an article about socks and had some interesting directions for doing a short row heel with yarn overs instead of wraps. Do any of you use this method? I had never heard of it before then. So, of course I wanted to try!


I did the first one on "Mira". It was ok but I needed to pull the yarn a little tighter at the yarn overs I think. I will probably frog this heel and re-knit it so that the holes are smaller. I also want to add just a little length to the foot anyways. So - to the pond it goes.


On the "Winter Solstice" socks I think I did a better job. The holes are much smaller and the fabric is more dense. I like this method. It sure beats picking up those stinkin' wraps. It sure makes me feel old when I can't see them to pick them up!


So, have I been living in the dark ages by knitting my short row heels with wraps or something??

7 comments:

vickyd said...

I saw a pattern with short row heels with yarn overs about 6 months ago and had to try it so I added it to the socks I was knitting at the time - I really liked it because (like you) I sometimes have trouble seeing the wraps to pick them up. I can also say that the heels in my socks are holding up beautifully!!

Anonymous said...

I will have to check out that article. :)

Turtle said...

would love to try that, i hate srap overs on short rows,,,prob why my first toe up sock still sits unfinished!

Rocky Moreno said...

Interesting, do you have a link to that Cast On about the short row?

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Unknown said...

I haven't knit that many socks so I'm no expert but I would like to try this someday.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to check that out, too, after I finish the pair I'm working on now. I used wraps, and didn't enjoy them, so another method could be just the thing.