Friday, August 8, 2008

Progress


Oh yeah, that's 91 cast-on stitches baby!!! Woo hoo! I am really making progress now! (Geese added in background for dramatic effect). So, I started Hey Teach! this morning for the Ravelympics and that's as far as I've gotten thus far. I have a really hard time knitting during the day (which is why it takes me forever to finish projects) so I am usually an evening knitter when everything else around the house is done. During the day I don't like to be still long enough to knit! So, getting this project done is going to require day time knitting which is going to be a challenge for me.

Take a look at the geese (I know, they are hard to see). Those are the babies! You can't even tell them from the parents now. They just started flying and I thought one of them was going to smack into the house yesterday. Their aim for landing is still a bit "off" shall we say. I looked out the window and I saw this goose honking like crazy and heading for the house with his wings all spread out and his feet flared out right in front of him. I wish I had a picture of it! Luckily, he missed the house and ended up in the backyard. Needless to say, he seriously overshot the pond and I had to go chase him out of the back yard so he could figure out that he was going to have to fly off the hill to go get back to the pond and the rest of his family. They flew in this morning and I believe everyone actually hit the pond so their techniques seem to be improving.

I know it's small but take a look at this Kingfisher that landed on our umbrella yesterday! I had to take the picture from inside the house because I knew that as soon as I opened the door he was going to take off - and he did.


And, anyone ever seen a velvet ant? I didn't have time to go get the camera so I swiped this picture off the net. I have never seen anything like this before! Unbelievable that Mr. Man knew exactly what it was!

OK - back to my Olympic event. Good luck to everyone who has entered!

8 comments:

Turtle said...

good luck on the day knitting! love the animal pics, velvet ant??

Unknown said...

I love reading your blog!

I don't knit a lot during the day. I'm more of a, knit 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there, all day long. If I'm away from home, say visiting family out of town, I like to take my knitting with me but never knit more than a few rows the whole trip! (except when flying)

That velvet ant is creepy! Gave me a shiver!

turtlegirl76 said...

I did most of Hey, Teach at night. I don't usually get much daytime knitting in either. You can do it!

Roadchick said...

Those ants will bite the fire out of you. My dad grew up on a farm and said they used to drive the cows crazy. I kill them - and I'm not much on just killing stuff but I have a worse horror of getting bitten.

theyarnwhisperer said...

red velvet ants are pretty much the spawn of Satan. They will bite you and it is worse than any bee sting or wasp sting could ever be. If you capture one in a container it will literally "scream". Really. Its like something out of a horror flick. I only know this because the first time I saw one we captured it so we could show our exterminator and it made this loud horrible screaming noise.

Anonymous said...

good luck with hey teach! and the ravelympics....i joined too---working on socks

theyarnwhisperer said...

what yarn are you using for Hey Teach?

knittingdragonflies said...

Beautiful kingfisher, the ant gives me the creeps.
Vicki